Human trafficking is a huge problem, and so it’s going to take all of us to solve it. Here are some things you can do right now to take a stand against modern-day slavery.
1. Educate yourself. For starters, visit Slavery Footprint and see how many slaves work for you based on your consumer habits. Read through the “Human Trafficking” heading above. Then, explore more resources over on our Links page.
2. Educate others. Why not share a status update from SAAS’s Facebook page on your wall so your friends can learn about trafficking? Or, you can request a SAAS training for your workplace or community group.
3. Buy Fair Trade products. Many common products we buy every day, such as clothing, coffee, chocolate, electronics, and more, are made by victims of labor trafficking. By choosing Fair Trade products, you are saying no to slavery. Here are some logos to look for:
Also, check out the Free2Work app, which grades companies on their anti-slavery practices.
4. Advocate for better laws. Polaris Project maintains an up-to-date list of all state and federal legislation regarding human trafficking. You can also subscribe to the SAAS email newsletter to stay in the loop about Arizona policy issues.
5. Donate to SAAS. As a 100% volunteer-run organization, all donations go directly to support anti-trafficking initiatives in Arizona. You can donate here using a credit card or PayPal. Thank you for your generosity.
6. Report suspected human trafficking. Law enforcement cannot be everywhere all the time–they depend on tips from everyday citizens. If you see something suspicious that you think might be trafficking, call 9-1-1, or call the National Human Trafficking Reporting Hotline at 1-888-373-7888.
7. Don’t buy sex. You might think this goes without saying, but unfortunately, a recent study found that a whopping 4.9% of all adult males in Phoenix purchase sex online. Sex trafficking is a demand-driven business. Don’t be part of that demand.